We all know that fish is good for us, right? Right! What is not so good is fish in batter, loaded with preservatives and trans-fats, that we buy in our local supermarkets. As a mom that is trying to improve the quality of my children’s food I am on the lookout for the above mentioned nasties most of the time. It is however true that my children, like most other children I’m sure, loves a batter of sorts around their hake. Hey, lets face it: somehow it just seems more exiting to have a golden crusty batter around soft steamy fish. Yes yes, I know, deep-fried is not the preferred choice of cooking method but every once in a while I break our normal regime of hake grilled with lemon and herbs and splash out!
This is a very simple recipe but the results were lovely. Golden brown batter enveloping hot, soft, steamy fish. I decided to cut the chips and add roasted veggies in which I limited the oil. Sorry to all the fish and chips lovers. Maybe next time hey?
Regarding the veggies: I add some sweet chilli sauce at the end of the roasting time to my veg. This adds further lovely flavor and a beautiful glossy look to the dish. I learned this from my mom-in-law who is also a very talented cook. Thanks Ma Wilma!
- 600g Fresh Hake Fillets
- 1 cup of Cake Flour
- 1 can of Beer
- 1 big hand full of Italian Flat Leave Parsley
- 1/2 t of Paprika
- 1 t of Salt
- 1 t Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Egg lightly whisked
- Enough Canola oil to cover Fish in a deep pan.
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 500g of Butternut cut into chunky blocks
- 2 Large Yellow Cayenne Peppers
- 1 Red Onion chopped up into chunky bits
- 2 T of Roasted Veggies Spice (Look in your spice aisle. I bought a mixture from a farmer’s stall that does not contain any preservatives)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
- 2 T of Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Place all ingredients, except for fish, into a mixing bowl and mix with a balloon whisk to form a light fluffy batter
- Heat oil in a deep-frying pan. It is ready when you drop a small amount of batter into the oil and it starts bubbling immediately
- Dip fish fillets into batter and place very carefully into hot oil. Fry for about 3-4 minutes. Be careful to not overheat oil as this will over fry the fish and the batter.
- Once the fish is golden, remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil
- Preheat oven to 220° C
- Place all veggies into a large roasting pan and spread out evenly
- Coat with a light spray of olive oil
- Add roasted veggie spice and mix lightly with veg
- Roast Veg for about 40 minutes or until all is soft and slightly caramelized
- When the veggies are done roasted, remove from oven and spray very lightly once more with olive oil spray
- Add the Sweet Chilli Sauce and mix softly into veggies
I added a garden salad to top up the plates.