This is another one of my quick Sunday evening or Saturday-lunch favorites. I find the thought of melty, oozy cheese always extremely comforting, therefore this is just the thing to help me cope with my Sunday evening blues. The great thing about this almost quesadilla-like meal is that you have endless possibilities with fillings. It thus makes it very easy to cater for all tastes in your family. Also, it is a great way to consume left over chicken or meat from your previous meal. Waste not, want not.
Some of my favorite things I like to add to this includes shredded chicken (or even smoked chicken), meat strips, salami, chorizo, prawns, bacon, or cold meats like ham… it all just depends on what is in my refrigerator at that point. Choose one or two of your favorites or whatever you have at hand in the house and combine it with veggies like tomato, green pepper, sliced baby barrow, baby corn, spinach, avocado or even some pineapple. I always add chopped spring onions as they tend to fuse through the cheese – leaving a lingering, light onion taste. Delectable! You absolutely must try them.
Also don’t be skimpy with the cheese. I used only cheddar last night (my local supermarket around the corner were out of mozzarella) but I usually use a combination of the two. Don’t forget to spice it up with some herbs (I used fresh parsley and origanum), pepper and chilies.
I decided to serve the pizza wraps with taste café’s Hot Chili Relish. Talk about a flavor explosion!
This recipe will be enough for 4 very filling, cheesy pizza wraps:
- 3 cups of cheddar cheese (or 1 1/2 cheddar and 1 1/2 mozzarella)
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 1 -2 cups of chopped veg of your choice (see above)- I used tomato,green pepper and pineapple
- 1 small chili chopped, seeds removed (optional )
- 1 small hand full of parsley chopped
- some dried origanum to sprinkle
- 1 cup of shredded chicken
- 8 medium tortilla wraps
- freshly ground pepper
- Chili Relish to serve with
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat
- Place a tortilla wrap inside
- Layer with some cheese, spread some meat and veg over this layer and top with some more cheese (like a pizza), don’t forget to sprinkle with the herbs, chili and pepper
- Place another wrap onto the pizza
- Leave for a minute or two so that the cheese can melt
- Press lightly onto the wraps with an egg lifter to stick the wraps together with the melted cheese
- Once the cheese starts to melt, flip over carefully
- Leave the wrap for another 2 minutes until both the wraps are crispy and cooked
- Remove from pan
- Let it cool for a minute before slicing into wedges with a pizza wheel
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients
- Serve with the chili relish