Well, as most of my dear readers will know by now we are currently on those few rare, but very precious, days of the year namely vacation. I really find that these times just bind our family spontaneously together. As I am typing away I’m listening to my beautiful kids laugh and giggle at their dad kicking a rugby ball. A child’s laughter must be one of the most enjoyable sounds on all the earth. There are times when I wish I could capture the sounds thereof with all the joy and carefreeness for years to come when they will grow into adults and have to weather the world. Oh! If I could just teach them to always laugh like a five year old. The sky seems to be limitless and there is nothing that can’t be fixed by dad and a cable-tie and the best cure for falling down and hurting yourself seems to be one of mom’s cookies.
My daughter and I have also been spending some time together yesterday. We made these very easy, very sweet but delicious puddings:
These guys are really easy to make as they require very little baking utensils. This could therefore be whipped up in the simplest of kitchens even by little hands. I found the recipe in one of my favorite foodie magazines Sarie Kos June/July 2012 edition and we adapted it ever so slightly. They tasted great out of the oven with a sweet apricot flavor and a sauce that caramelized on top.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 1 t of baking powder (the original recipe called for 11/2 t Bicarbonate of soda which is dissolved in the milk)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 free range eggs whisked
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180° c
- Butter 4 enamel cups
- Mix the flour and baking powder
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix in the milk and the rest of the ingredients.
- Spoon into the enamel cups and place on a baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes
- When in doubt if the puddings has been baked through do a skewer test
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg whisked
Mix all of the above and pour over the puddings when they are done baking. Place back into the oven and bake for another 20 minutes untill the sauce has thickened and caramelized. Serve piping hot.