MAKE THIS EASY COBB SALAD AS A LIGHT LUNCH ON HOT SUMMER DAYS WHEN YOU CANNOT BRING YOURSELF TO SLAVE AWAY OVER A HOT STOVE.
The past few days have been scorchers and it has been so hot outside that the tar seemed to be literally melting in the 37°C weather in our area. On days like these I cannot bring myself to stand in a hot kitchen and cook.
Say hello to a fresh and easy salad. This is a great tasting salad with all of your favourite goodies and a delicious, creamy salad dressing. You can literally add any of your favourite veggies or what you have on hand from your refrigerator .
I roasted some chicken breasts with chicken rub and a yoghurt and lemon marinade, but you can add any pre-roasted chicken from the store – I promise, neither I nor you family will judge when you place this delightful summer salad in front of them. 🙂
I decided to use raw corn on the cob as the ones that I had was still beautifully fresh but, should you prefer it, you can use some cooked ones or even corn from a can. Fry the bacon extra crispy for some extra crunch and texture.
Now please do not decide to the leave out the salad dressing as it really packs a mean punch to this salad. It has lots of flavour and your salad will definitely be poorer should you decide to leave out this creamy, delightful ranch dressing. I was sorry that I did not make it double to save for another salad during the week but I will definitely make a big jar to keep in the refrigerator during this week to further zoosh up some other salad.
So, if you want to have something light, yet yummy for lunch or dinner or feeling simply too lazy to cook just throw a few of your favourite salad ingredients together, smother it in ranch dressing and enjoy.
Ingredients for the salad:
- lettuce of your choice, enough to line a salad bowl with
- about 10 baby asparagus spear tips (Blanched in hot water for 2-3 minutes and then placed in ice water for a deep green colour)
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado, peeled, stone removed and sliced.
- the corn kernels of one small cob of corn fresh or cooked.
- 1 small red pepper sliced
- 1/2 a cucumber cubed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 4 pieces of bacon fried crispy in a little oil
- 2-3 roasted chicken breasts
What to do:
Place all ingredients in layers on a salad plate.
Ingredients for the ranch dressing:
- 1/2 a cup of good quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
- lemon zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- fresh cracked salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
Combine all ingredients in a tall container and blend with a blender stick until smooth. Drizzle over the salad.