This easy roasted tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwich is so ridiculously easy to make and tasty you will definitely be adding it to your list of go-to dishes for those evenings when you run out of dinner ideas. The soup has a short list of ingredients and together with the sandwiches this is a warm and comforting dish that can be on the table in less than an hour. If you don’t have artichokes in your pantry cupboard you can leave it out or even substitute it with grilled brinjal slices should you feel the need.
Serves: 4 Takes: About 45 min. Easy.
6 cups cherry tomatoes
2 medium onions peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup garlic flavored avocado oil
2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp sugar
2 bay leaves
1 level tsp of salt
ground black pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Place cherry tomatoes and onions, in a roasting pan and drizzle with the garlic flavored avocado oil.
- Place into the oven and roast for 20 minutes until tomatoes blister and burst open.
- When done roasting, remove from the oven and add to a large pot together with the chicken stock, bay leaves and sugar.
- Simmer over gentle heat for another 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove from heat, take out the bay leaves and use a stick blender to blend the soup to a smooth liquid.
- Serve in pre-warmed soup bowls with the toasted cheese sandwiches.
Toasted cheese, sweet peppers, spinach, and artichoke sandwich:
8 slices sourdough bread
1/2 cup sliced sweet peppers
4 artichoke hearts in olive oil (sliced)
1/2 cup of baby spinach leaves
salt and pepper to season
- Butter the slices of bread, turn over so the butter is on the outside of the sandwich and assemble the sandwiches by placing a layer of cheese, sweet peppers, sliced artichoke hearts, baby spinach leaves and then another layer of cheese on the unbuttered sides of 4 slices of bread. Close sandwiches with the left-over 4 slices of bread.
- Grill the sandwiches in a pre-heated sandwich press until golden brown and the cheese has melted.