Planning a braai (barbeque) for this weekend? Why not try these awesome burgers with lamb patties cooked over the coals topped with smoked mozzarella cheese. They are quick and easy to make and your friends and family will love you for them and I promise you once you have made your own patties, you will never want to buy ready-made ones again. The patties are made with simple fresh ingredients and gains flavor from the grill. The patties can also be pan-fried or roasted in the oven but I find them at their best when cooked over the coals with slices of tomato on top.
I placed the tomato slices on the patties in a closed braai grid as the grilled tomato just adds more depth and flavor to the burger, but you can use fresh slices if you prefer. Remember a good burger is made with the freshest breadrolls and lettuce for extra crunch and texture. I prefer to lightly toast the breadrolls in the oven, it really makes a difference so please don’t skip this step. Add your favourite hot sauce or flavored mayonaise to crown all the goodness you collected in the bun. Lastly, don’t forget to serve with some fries and your favourite drink.
Serves: 4-5 Takes: Less than an hour. Easy
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 medium onion
- 3 big hands full fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tomato sliced
- smoked mozzarella cheese (or cheddar)
- pickled cucumbers
- burger buns (toasted)
- your favourite burger sauce
- Ready some medium coals to roast the patties.
- Finely chop the onion and parsley in a food processor.
- Add the onion and parsley to the lamb mince in a mixing bowl together with the salt and smoked parsley and mix well.
- Form patties from the mixture and place on a double braai grid for flipping over the coals.
- Top the patties with the tomato slices and season with salt and pepper before closing the grid.
- Once the coals are ready, cook the patties for about twenty minutes or until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper after each flip of the grid. Remove the grid when it is done.
- Place the patties on a bed of lettuce on the burger bun and top with cheese, pickled cucumbers and sauce of your choice
- Serve with fries.