- Looking for a simple snack to treat your family and friends with this weekend? These easy baked jalapeño poppers are a real crowd pleaser and a lighter version of the deep-fried ones. Serve them with a creamy honey mustard sauce.
Fact: I really love jalapeño poppers. Another fact: I really don’t like deep frying food on my stove-top as it leaves oil splattered everywhere. So in the alternative, I decided to make these easy baked jalapeño poppers in my oven. It is a double bonus recipe as not only is it a lighter kilojoule version, but I am also left with a clean stove-top. The best part of these jalapeño poppers though is definitely the cheesy, crunchy spicy taste. I have to admit I have a bit of a jalapeño popper addiction lately. I could most likely even eat them for breakfast every single morning.
How do I prepare baked jalapeño poppers?
Start by gently coating the panko crumbs with olive oil spray and toasting it for five minutes in the oven. This will ensure that your jalapeño poppers are golden in color and have a crispy crumb coat. Halve the jalapeños and fill with the prepared cheese filling. Dip the filled jalapeños in egg and coat with flour. Dip into the egg once more and then into the toasted panko breadcrumbs. Lightly spray the poppers with olive oil again and bake for 25 minutes. Prepare the creamy honey and mustard sauce to serve with the baked jalapenos as a dip.
Can I prepare easy baked jalapeno poppers ahead of my party?
The poppers can be filled ahead of time and be stored in an airtight container in the fridge a few hours in advance. It is however, advisable to only coat them with the egg, flour, and panko crumbs, and to bake them just before serving as they taste most scrumptious when eaten piping hot from the oven.
Where can I find panko breadcrumbs?
Panko bread crumbs can be found in the Asian section of your local supermarket. I used Woolworth’s Panko Bread Crumbs
Easy, baked jalapeño poppers
- Oven, Baking tray
- 125 g cream cheese
- 60 g mature cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp Woolworths all-purpose seasoning
- 6 large Jalapeño Peppers halved and seeds removed
- 3/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- olive oil spray extra virgin
- 1 extra large egg whisked
- 1/2 cup flour
Creamy honey mustard dressing
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 large pinch salt
- good grinding black pepper
- Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Place the panko bread crumbs in a shallow oven dish and lightly spray with the olive oil spray.
- Toast the panko bread crumbs for 5 minutes until golden.
- Fill the Jalapeño halves with the cheese filling.
- Dip the filled jalapeno halves in egg, coat with flour and dip in egg again. Lastly, roll in panko bread crumbs and place on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.
- Give the poppers a light spray of olive oil again.
- When all the poppers are coated with panko bread crumbs bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the creamy honey mustard dip.
Honey mustard dip sauce
- Mix all of the ingredients for the creamy honey mustard dip sauce and add to a small bowl.
If you enjoyed this post you might enjoy:
Blueberry and banana smoothie bowl
Mexican Chili with tomato salsa
Want to share this awesome post?
Remember that sharing is caring. Please help me grow his page by sharing on your favorite social media platform. You can also let me know if you made this by sharing your photos on Instagram and tagging me @thenotsoskinnycook. You can follow me on Pinterest and Facebook.