Speckled egg pistachio cake is a beautiful cake full of rich buttery, nutty flavors and sure to please all that sits down at your easter table.
So, in the midst of the COVID 19 pandemic this year’s easter was so different from other years. There was no going to church with our church family. No worship and communion and no hugs and friendly banter between our church family members. No children running around and playing while grown-ups have coffee together. There was also no family lunch get together, sharing a meal and chocolate eggs. This year was different but it wasn’t depressing nor did it feel that we were lacking something.
Instead of feeling lonely, we all felt grateful this year. Grateful for our church that made so much effort to record worship and an easter service that we could watch online. Grateful that we could still visit with relatives via Facetime. Grateful for a table with bountiful, delicious food for Easter Sunday lunch. Grateful for a healthy family to share it with. Finally, we are grateful that we know that even though there is a storm out there that brought the whole world to a standstill, Jesus Christ is still in control. He is still in control just like he was 2000 years ago in a boat on the lake. He is still in control just like he was while hanging on a cross. We take comfort that 2000 years from now He will still be in control.
My daughter and I made this beautiful cake. We got to spend time together baking and decorating it. It left our hearts filled with treasured memories.
There is nothing religious about it, but it is delicious and it reminds us that we live out of His bounty every day. Our pet bunny did come and help us with the photos and we had lots of fun capturing him too.
If you enjoyed this post about this speckled egg pistachio cake you might enjoy:
I borrowed this recipe from Natalie’s Lifemadesimple blog. Head over and check out all of her beautiful posts.
Specled egg pistachio cake
- Standing mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Brand new toothbrush to make speckles on cake.
- 175 ml pistachios Raw and unsalted. Ground finely in a food processor. Do not process too long to prevent the nuts forming a paste.
- 375 ml cake flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 5 ml baking soda
- 1 tsp pink himalyan sea salt
- 5 ml cinnamon powder
- 250 ml butter Unsalted
- 435 ml granulated sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 5 ml almond essence
- 125 ml buttermilk
- 3 large egg whites
Buttercream frosting with lemon
- 310 ml soft butter
- 625 ml icing
- 45 ml fresh lemon juice
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- big and small speckled eggs
- flake choclate
- a drop of chocolate brown gel food coloring thinned with a drop of vodka.
- Preheat your oven to 180° C. Prepare 2 22cm pans by buttering and lining the pans with baking paper.
- Add the flour, ground pistachios, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to a medium mixing well and whisk.
- Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for about 2 minutes until creamy and soft. Add the sugar and beat some more until fluffy and light. Add the vanilla essence, almond essence and egg and mix well.
- Alternate adding the flour, milk and buttermilk while mixing on a low speed. Do not overmix!
- In a clean metal bowl that has been wiped down with vinegar add the 3 egg whites with the cream of tarter and beat untillstiff peaks form.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 35 minutes. Do a skewer test to make sure the cake has finished baking.
- Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool down completely before decorating.
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and cream.
- Spread some of the frosting over the bottom layer of the cake and add the top cake layer. Spread the rest of the frosting over the top and the sides smoothing it with a palette knife.
- Dip the new toothbrush in the brown food coloring and using your finger to brush over it make speckles on the cake.
- Make four nests with flake chocolate by crumbling the flake in 4 circles on the cake. Add specled eggs to the nests.